Monday, October 29, 2012

Stop Motion Character Animation

This was an idea that morphed over time. What was originally a video about a board game playing itself turned into the current video, in which two figures join in on the action. How it played it still felt natural and relatable, as I wanted something that anyone who has played Monopoly has experienced: your opponent having bizarrely great luck, while you are stuck suffering right off the bat. Needless to say, we've also felt the rage the figure who tosses the dice felt.

First off, I picked the game that I had which had pieces I could initially work with, and Monopoly seemed perfect. As for the reason it's Beatles Monopoly, it was the only one I had, so I felt I could just work with what I had. I had initially moved the dice like a pair of eyes (the term snake eyes initially came to mind when I thought about them, even though I used them in a more human way). As for the figurines from the set, I picked "Rocky Racoon" as well as the walrus because these were actually living things that felt better suited to the video compared to the other objects. Thankfully posing these were easy, as they were inanimate objects with wide bases.

As the project went on, I realized I needed something a bit more... posable. I had a friend of mine bring a couple of action figures he was willing to lend me that had full articulation; every joint, that would be integral to a person, including a point between the abdomen and chest, could move with these figures. With these, I could make something in which a small fight broke out when the story called for it. However, because they had a difficult center of balance (partially due to the articulation admittedly, as some points moved when I didn't want them to). In order to keep them in place, I had to use miniature adhesive stamps to keep them in place. This was also used to keep the dice in place when a character was holding them or were being thrown.



No comments:

Post a Comment